FR EN DE ES IT PT
Browse forums 
Ankama Trackers

Absolutely unfriendly game for newbie

By Sarduor#1320 June 06, 2015, 11:21:31
It's terrible. How developers want to increase number of players and expand this game? I lost all games, with any chance to win.

Game have great future, but if you don't do something with matchmaking, you will have big problems with new players.
2 0
Reactions 15
Score : 387
It's a collectible, competitive tactical game with a heavy synergy-based team bulding and execution components. Can't expect to win with random figures put together or an overall strategy. There's still a luck component of course, but it has to be backed up by skill or that alone will very rarely save you
Learn how opponents defeated you so you can take something from every match and apply it to you strategy and team building. Noone is born with perfect skills and we all learned by losing
in short: Don't be butthurt and git gud :3
0 -4
Score : 116
Team bulding? With 5 start characters and without chance to gather up koz for kroxbox?

How?
3 0
Score : 12
Hopefully once the 1 player story is developed more it will be a bit nicer : l
But until then, youre not going to enjoy the game if youve stumbled upon it. You really have to come from and have pieces already from wakfu / dofus / the physical board game.
0 0
Score : 1139
These types of strategy games are not for everyone or some understand it faster. Some people are good real quick for example my younger sisters ages 5 and 8 saw me playing it and wanted to try it and i showed them how to play on the board game first then online and after about 3 days they did some ranked matched and won some with the starter team/free krosmaster of the week without my help rolleyes

Yes the advancement of story mode would help new players alot so they are more ready to fight actual matches, another would be if the player search for un-ranked matches was fixed. Would also be great if you could win random krosbox along with kros after a match win in the upcoming adventure mode but only once per win to avaid spamming the same match to win alot. Also at the end of a city/stage for example the last fight in Astrub, if you win you get a choice to choose one of the krosmasters you fought in that city/stage but only once of-course. This way it encourages new players to keep playing even when waiting for the next city/stagy to be released.
If you want to practice or try a team you can always challange me in the challenge tab maybe i am online biggrin 
0 0
Score : 996
I think the problem depends on the match ups. In the early stages if you are pitted against someone with a much stronger team, I am not sure how much you will learn while your team is being obliterated.

We will see how the beta evolves but this game does have a learning curve as there are quite a few good teams out there and they can all be handled differently. The rules themselves are much greater in extent than they were when the game first came out as well.
0 0
Score : 597
I think this is actually a valid criticism.

Unlike in Hearthstone where even with a worse deck you still have a chance to win abiet a smaller one, in this game the starter team frankly just cannot win again some of the teams in the meta.

Like, what can the starter team do against Merk? His air resistance essentially shuts down Bill Tell on the spot, and his water resistance shuts down Bad Aboum. So...the 2 main DDs on the team are shut down on the spot leaving the only Lil Healy and Oscar Kass that can reliably damage a Merk...The only way someone playing as Merk is going to lose to that is if he presses the surrender button himself :/

And considering that you actually have to win matches to get Kros...newer players really aren't going to stick around for long.

I'd definitely consider giving newer players more than just those 4 figures to play with when starting out. Like I would at least consider giving them the starter pack for free as well so at least that way between those 9 starting figures they can at least make a team that has a realistic chance to beat some of the more meta teams.
0 0
Score : 6633
Amazing how the omission of just 3 figures would unlock the potential of a 100+ figures. As it is unless you are playing a level 6 + multiple lvl1s and 2s you are not welcome apparently.
0 0
Score : 597
GinjaaNinjaa|2015-06-08 15:49:54
Amazing how the omission of just 3 figures would unlock the potential of a 100+ figures. As it is unless you are playing a level 6 + multiple lvl1s and 2s you are not welcome apparently.
You'd need to omit a lot more than just 3 figures to make stuff like Oscar Kass playable :/
0 0
Back before 3d went live I had a dummy base set account I used to troll high level players who assumed I was a scrub. I would just auto-surrender to low levels until I finally got paired. It is possible to defeat them with base set, but only because they over extend because they are assuming it's going to be over quickly. After playing for so long with different high level teams it was actually kind of fun trying to win with such an extreme handicap.

So I would use that to my advantage. But your point is still taken. Oscar is playable if people would tentpole him the way other figures are tentpoled. But why tentpole him when Merk is such a sure bet. So I still maintain that just 3 figures make so many others not unplayable, no where near as inticing. When a figure is SO good that it's a tactical handicap NOT to use one, then the balance and design has failed along the way.
0 0
Score : 258
Just saying : the beta test isn't over : new adventures will show up to let people play against an IA and learn how to play without being in pvp, and you'll win other Krosmaster to help you build.

So, newbies who start Krosmaster now, be patient. The game isn't newbie friendly now. But the game isn't finished.
0 0
Also lets be honest. The this is a "free-to-play" business model. You have to work hard to earn kros to get more figures for free.

-or-

Pay money for Orgines and get more figures that way. You can't really fault Ankama for this. Nor can someone really complain about the default 4 figures if they are not willing to drop a few bucks for more figures. If you buy the base real world base set you get 8 figures + codes combined with the 4 defaults that's

1x Queen of Tofu
1x King of Gobbals
1x Anna Tommy, one of the strongest lvl 3s in the game
1x Kassius Kaos
2x Bills
2x Healys
2x Bads
2x Oscars

You actually can make a pretty good team with Anna and Queen and Bill

But if you pay nothing and start with nothing and expect Glory that's not really all that realistic imo.
0 0
Score : 184
GinjaaNinjaa|2015-06-13 02:27:38

You actually can make a pretty good team with Anna and Queen and Bill

But if you pay nothing and start with nothing and expect Glory that's not really all that realistic imo.

I agree with everything you have said, I think the issue is how to grow the game at this point given what people are talking about in a random pairing.

I'll use myself as an example. I've been interested in Krosmaster but have hesitated to pull the trigger on the base set due to cost (I know its not super high but cheaper alternatives exist). The online version is great because it lets you try but it's a steep learning curve. Five tutorials give a good background but things like resistance kinda pop out of no where. You learn on the fly which can be fun but frustrating if you just have to play ranked. In a game like Hearthstone you at least get something for losing.

I like the idea of Krosmaster but at this point it seems like its hard to have a casual experience with it.
0 0
I definitely agree that there is probably a better way to approach this on the part of Ankama besides the standard "Free-to-Play" model. It'll do in a pinch, but I think it will behoove them to find a model that jives a little better with the heavy learning curve and it being coupled with a real boardgame etc. It's not a conventional game and it's roots are not that of a candy-crush type game etc. (thankfully) so perhaps there is a slightly better way to handle this? Not sure if or what that would be though.
0 0
Score : 184
What I think would also help would be a practice mode or a free play mode where you could move your characters around and figure out how they work together. For instance, yesterday I was going through all of the rotating characters and decided to try out a Dragon group together. They did have synergy but it took several turns to figure out how to make it work and by that point your opponent is usually ready to crush you.

Having a large base of characters is great the trick is how to get new players up to speed without making them feel overwhelmed and practice might at least make them feel better about their team.
0 0
Score : 218
writerfyre|2015-08-16 15:26:03
What I think would also help would be a practice mode or a free play mode where you could move your characters around and figure out how they work together.
you can always challenge your friend to test teams.
0 0
Respond to this thread